Monday, March 5, 2012

Erykah Badu's Concert Outraged Fans like me!


I don't even know where to begin. I guessed everyone read about the cancellation of the recent Erykah Badu's concert here in Malaysia Kuala Lumpur. An image of Erykah Badu surfaced, with arabic writing (a TEMPORARY) tattoo with the word "Allah" offended the religion people, hence the ban just one day before the concert. According to the religion, tattoo is forbidden let alone the word "Allah" on her body.

I am not even going to get into how backwards we are as tattoos have always been an expression of art and moreover, isn't it wonderful to embrace god? Check Erykah Badu out, one of the most love giving and peace sharing artist of all time. I have been a fan of her since the 90's, when she released her first album "Baduizm". Since then, I felt in love. This lady rocks.


I was super excited when she is having her concert here, but well the authority smashed out dreams and turned into a religious issue. This is not the first time the authority has done something like that, I am just worried that this will give our country a bad impression therefore many foreign talents would be afraid to perform here.

But there were beautiful Malaysians who believed in music, love, peace, art and freedom of speech. Let's just say, music is music, art is art. No one intend to hurt anyone. Don't complicate things. Religion has always been beautiful, it's just the people have wrong views. I am sure God, Buddha and the mighty one wouldn't want us to fight and be disharmony. The disharmony among nation isn't greater that a tattoo?

On the day of the concert, thousands of tweets from the fans despite of race, nationality, religion and colour came together requesting for Erykah Badu's concert to go on. What a beautiful act! These people are true music lovers and sincere. What we recognized is talent and music. NOT a tattoo. Fans appealed, and a hands up to the organizer DID NOT give up and pushed the limit til the very last moment. INCLUDING the Queen of Neo Soul herself, Ms.Erykah Badu.

I admired her sincerity, her charm and calm, her love for music. She is a true artist. I think if she is any commercial artist, she would have "F you" and i'm leaving... Instead, she tweeted and facebook the whole day to request and appeal for the show to go on... here is one of her tweet.

"My favourite filmmaker was @alejodorowski. He made a movie called The Holy Mountain in the 70s. One of his characters were called The Painted Lady. She wore all symbols and name of Gods on her body. I posed as her for her a photoshoot for the album New Amerykah pt2. This idea embodies who we ALL are - ONE. The Government of Malaysia had to be responsible for its people's beliefs. Be it 1 or 2 complaints. That, I understand. It is an election year, keep in mind"

"Assalamualaikum @dsuraisyatim. I am Erykah Badu. I understand your position and respect your concerns. I and many others have traveled far. Meet me".

What an inspiring artist. She is simply Beautiful inside out. Come back soon.









Love & Peace
ETHAN

No comments:

Post a Comment